Blood Testing is one of the most common ways for a healthcare provider to diagnose health issues. It helps your GP identify the cause of illness and determine the best treatment.
Blood tests are helpful for tracking treatment for conditions and diseases such as diabetes, high cholesterol, and many others. As part of routine health check-ups, they can also be useful in giving you information on your overall health.
Blood tests are typically ordered by healthcare providers to:
- Identify health problems in their early stages before they become serious.
- Find out how well organs such as your thyroid, heart, liver, and kidneys are functioning.
- Monitor chronic health conditions and diseases such as Diabetes and High Cholesterol.
- Diagnose anemia.
- Determine the strength of your immune system.
- Diagnose clotting or blood disorders.
- Monitor the effectiveness of medication and treatment.
- Diagnose diseases such as HIV/AIDS, coronary heart disease, diabetes, and cancer.
Hodgson Pharmacy offers blood testing in Bexley, Medway, Kent, and our other branches which are conveniently located throughout London.
Preparing for a blood test
For most blood tests, no preparation or fasting is required because doctors want to see what your blood is like under normal conditions.
Although for some diagnostic blood tests such as blood sugar tests or cholesterol tests, it will be necessary to fast for at least 8 hours before the test to get accurate results. For fasting blood tests, make it easier on yourself and schedule a morning test most of your time fasting will be while you sleep!
Types of Blood Tests
Common blood tests include:
- Complete blood count (CBC)
- Blood chemistry tests
- Blood enzyme tests
- Blood tests for heart disease risk
Hodgson Pharmacy offers a full range of blood tests that are administered by experienced phlebotomists that will put you at ease during the quick procedure and answer any questions you have about your blood test results. Visit our pharmacy for blood testing in Kent, Medway, and Bexley for more information on our services.